CMHC presents 2021 Awards of Excellence
The Coastal Multifamily Housing Council announced the winners of its 36th annual Awards of Excellence Competition July 15 via a virtual ceremony on Facebook Live. After putting the competition on hold in 2020 due to the pandemic, the event returned this year in a modified, virtual format.
Merit Awards were presented for outstanding individual performance and Awards of Excellence were given to exceptional apartment communities in southeastern Virginia, competing in categories based on when they were constructed, as well as in categories specific to certain community features.
Merit Award winners
Nine individuals and two apartment communities were honored for their performance in the multifamily housing industry this past year. They include:
- Multifamily Executive of the Year
- Regional Property Manager of the Year (a tie)
Lisa Schwartz, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Property Manager of the Year (a tie)
Callie Johnson, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Christina Montgomery, The Lawson Cos.
- Leasing Consultant of the Year
- Maintenance Supervisor of the Year
- Maintenance Employee of the Year
- Above & Beyond Award
- Residents’ Choice (recognizing the apartment community whose residents voted it “the best” in an online competition)
Runner-up: John Knox Towers, The Lawson Cos.
Award of Excellence winners
In addition to the Merit Awards, the winners of the 2021 Awards of Excellence were also announced. This year, 128 communities competed for honors in 14 award categories, based on the date they were built. The recipients were:
- Senior communities completed before 2000
Silver: Holland House, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Bronze: Stonebridge Manor, Frye Properties Inc.
- Senior communities completed as of 2000 and later
Silver: Brenneman Lakes, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Wesleyan Place, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
- Subsidized communities
Silver: River Bend Apartments, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Aero Apartments, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 1940 and 1949
Silver: Merrimack Landing, The Lawson Cos.
Bronze: Sterling Oaks, Frye Properties Inc.
- Communities completed between 1960 and 1969
Silver: Haven, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Park Towne, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 1970 and 1974
Silver: Thalia Gardens, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Linkhorn Bay, PRG Real Estate
- Communities completed between 1975 and 1979
Silver: Woodmere Trace, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Green Lakes, The Lawson Cos.
- Communities completed between 1980 and 1984
Silver: Arbor Trace Apartment Homes, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Ocean Pebbles, Frye Properties Inc.
- Communities completed between 1985 and 1989
Silver: Auburn Place, The Breeden Co.
Bronze: Westwinds, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
- Communities completed between 1990 and 1999
Silver: Mission College, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Featherstone at Kiln Creek, The Breeden Co.
- Communities completed between 2000 and 2009
Silver: Avondale at Kempsville, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Bronze: The Villages of Stoney Run, The Breeden Co.
- Communities completed between 2010 and 2014
Silver: Redmill Landing, The Breeden Co.
Bronze: Briton Trace, The Breeden Co.
- Communities completed between 2015 and 2019
Gold: Aqua on 25th, The Breeden Co.
Icon Norfolk, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Red Knot at Edinburgh, The Breeden Co.
Bronze: Clairmont at Jolliff Landing, Kotarides Property Management
- Communities completed as of 2020 and later
Silver: The Pearl at Marina Shores, Signature Management Corp.
Bronze: Pinewell Station, The Breeden Co.
Ninety-five communities also competed for a Platinum Award, which recognizes specific components of an apartment community. The recipients were:
Platinum Award winners
- Best Model: The Pearl at Marina Shores, Signature Management Corp.
- Best Maintenance Shop: Red Knot at Edinburgh, The Breeden Co.
- Best Amenities Package: Aqua on 25th, The Breeden Co.
- Best Curb Appeal: Red Knot at Edinburgh, The Breeden Co.
RAM School GraduatesAlso recognized during the presentation were the graduates of CMHC’s Registered in Apartment Management (RAM) School. The graduates completed a two-week basic RAM training program in on-site management, the first step to acquiring the RAM designation, a Department of Housing and Urban Development-approved certification program. The School is offered annually and instructors are local industry professionals.
The 2021 RAM School graduates are: