TBA awards $30,000 in scholarships
June 08, 2017
TIDEWATER BUILDERS ASSOCIATION AWARDS $30,000 IN SCHOLARSHIPS
Nine local high school students and a high school drafting instructor were awarded a total of $30,000 from the Tidewater Builders Association Scholarship Foundation during its annual academic awards program and Young Designers’ Scholarship Competition.
Five scholarships were awarded for academic excellence, community service and financial need. Four students also received awards from the annual Young Designers’ Scholarship Competition, and a drafting instructor received a $1,000 grant.
The following academic scholarship recipients each received a $5,000 four-year scholarship:
- Tenisha Alston of Lakeland High School, Suffolk, received the Frederick J. Napolitano Sr. Scholarship. She will be studying math and science engineering at the University of Virginia..
- Bhavik Patel of Ocean Lakes High School, Virginia Beach, received the Howard and Nancye Weisberg Scholarship. He plans to attend the University of Virginia and pursue a career in medicine.
- Mackenzie Roach of Nansemond River High School, Sufffolk, received the Lee A. Gifford Memorial Scholarship. She plans to study chemical engineering at Virginia Tech.
- David Scherrer of Cox High School, Virginia Beach, received the Richard D. Guy Scholarship. He plans to study math, science and engineering at Brown University.
- Jelanie Williams of Granby High School, Norfolk, received the William J. Hearring Scholarship. She is enrolled in the School of Education at Howard University.
A talent for designThirty students entered the Young Designers’ Scholarship Competition, a program for high school students interested in drafting, architecture or home building.
The competition’s three judges were local architecture and building professionals. The 2017 competition winners and their awards are:
- Gauge Di Censo of Landstown High School, Virginia Beach, $1,500 first place;
- Nash Euman of Landstown High School, Virginia Beach, $1,200 second place;
- Jack Troxell of the Advanced Technology Center, Virginia Beach, $800 third place; and
- Lucas Tasayco of Landstown High School, Virginia Beach, $500 honorable mention.
Now in its 52nd year, the TBA Scholarship Foundation has awarded 483 scholarships and a total of $1.85 million since 1965. TBA will continue to provide scholarship funding during the 2017-18 academic year to 15 other past recipients.
Laura Williamson, Scholarship administrator