Area's multifamily housing industry recognizes the best of the best at annual awards celebration
The area’s multifamily housing industry celebrated its achievements at the Tidewater Multifamily Housing Council’s Annual Awards of Excellence Celebration July 21 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. More than 575 members and guests gathered for the event, which is now in its 32nd year.
Merit Awards were presented for outstanding performance and Awards of Excellence were given to exceptional apartment communities in South Hampton Roads, competing in categories based on when they were constructed.
Eight individuals and one company were honored at the banquet for their performance in the multifamily housing industry this past year. They include:
• Multifamily Executive of the Year
Adam Saich, BMR Investments Inc.
• Regional Property Manager of the Year
Jenny Halvorson, Kotarides Property Management
• Property Manager of the Year
Sara Ogle, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
• Leasing Consultant of the Year
Kristina Pennington, Clark Whitehill Enterprises
• Maintenance Supervisor of the Year
Steven Sheppard, The Lawson Cos.
• Maintenance Employee of the Year
Wayne Heslop, The Lawson Cos.
• Above and Beyond Award
Paula Tolson, Frye Properties Inc.
and David Pensyl, The Lawson Cos.
• Associate Member of the Year (recognizing one of the council’s associate member firms)
James River Grounds Management
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
In addition to the Merit Awards, the winners of the 2016 Awards of Excellence were also announced. This year, 90 communities competed for the honors in 10 award categories. The recipients were:
• Subsidized communities
Gold: Park Terrace, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Silver: Hunters Point, The Lawson Cos.
Bronze: The Rivers, The Lawson Cos.
• Senior communities completed between 1975 and 1999
Gold: John Knox Towers, The Lawson Cos.
Silver: Holland House, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Bronze: Stonebridge Manor, Frye Properties Inc.
• Senior communities completed as of 2000 and later
Gold: Victoria Place, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Silver: Wesleyan Place, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Bronze: Brenneman Lakes, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
• Communities completed between 1940 and 1949
Gold: Mariner’s Watch, Frye Properties Inc.
Silver: Sterling Oaks, Frye Properties Inc.
Bronze: Archer’s Green, Signature Management Corp.
• Communities completed between 1960 and 1969
Gold: Park Towne, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Silver: Colonial Arms, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Pembroke Town Center, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
• Communities completed between 1970 and 1979
Gold: Harpers Square, The Lawson Cos.
Silver (TIE): Aspen, Clark Whitehill Enterprises and
Thalia Gardens, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Greenbrier Woods, Clark Whitehill Enterprises
• Communities completed between 1980 and 1989
Gold: Westwinds, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Silver: Woodbriar, The Breeden Company
Bronze: Dam Neck Square, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
• Communities completed between 1990 and 1999
Gold: Mission College, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Silver: Woodbridge, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Campostella Commons, The Lawson Cos.
• Communities completed between 2000 and 2009
Gold: Brenneman Farm, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Silver: Belmont at Greenbrier, Kotarides Property Management
Bronze: Midtown at Town Center, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
• Communities completed as of 2010 and later
Gold: Cambria at Cornerstone, The Breeden Company
Silver: Red Knot at Edinburgh, The Breeden Company
Bronze: Belmont at Providence, Kotarides Property Management
New to this year’s competition were the Platinum Awards, recognizing specific components of an apartment community. Forty-seven communities competed in four categories. The recipients were:
• Best Model (TIE): Aspen, Clark Whitehill Enterprises and
Encore 4505, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
• Best Amenities Package: Red Knot at Edinburgh, The Breeden Company
• Best Maintenance Shop (TIE): Cambria at Cornerstone, The Breeden Company and
Westwinds, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
• Best Curb Appeal: Westwinds, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
The banquet also recognized the graduates of TMHC’s Registered in Apartment Management (RAM) program. The graduates completed a two-week basic RAM training program in on-site management, the first step to acquiring the RAM designation, a Department of Housing and Urban Development-approved certification program. The graduates include:
• BMR Investments: Sylvester Basey, Danielle Broadhurst, Sandy Golden, Nereida Harris, Mona Nunnally, Adam Robinson
• The Breeden Company: Jeannie Pegram
• Clark Whitehill Enterprises: Jennifer Alvarado, Solonge Askew, Christian Gibbon
• Community Partners Properties: Ashley Nesmith
• Kotarides Property Management: Christine Carney, Nicholas Gould, Early Joyner, Halee Niemi, Gene Taylor, Krystal Wilson
• The Lawson Cos.: Latearia Bright, Yolanda Whaff
• Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority: Melanie Murphy
• Signature Management Corp.: Vivianne Corrales
• S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.: Marylee Blanchetti, Kevin Boddie, Jovante Cuffee, Akaila Evans, Nicole McGowan, Lawanda Thornton
• United Property Associates: Michelle Brown, Johanna Virella
• No company affiliation: Melissa Baker, Kylie Jones, Tequila Jones, Vanessa Rivera-Atangan
Photo: Adam Saich (center), president of BMR Investments Inc., accepts the 2016 Multifamily Executive of the Year Award from master of ceremonies Chris Dembitz of Clark Whitehill Enterprises (left) and Merit Award sponsor Tad Carter of CSC ServiceWorks.